Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Are Video Game Movie Adaptions Going Too Far?


There have been a number of movie adaptions from video games over the years. Two come to mind quickly, the Resident Evil Trilogy and the infamous Super Mario Bros. Movie. But lately there seems to be a lot of movies in production.
A couple years ago there was a rumored Halo movie in production but because of disputes between the director and the movie company, that never happened. Last week it was announced that a anime-ish style of Halo was in production, being directed by the same person who was apart of Ghost In A Shell, and a trailer of the upcoming adaption to prove it. Then there is the announcement that the Bioshock movie got put on hold, possible due to funding. Remember Astroids, that arcade game in which you have a 5 pixel ship shooting 10 pixel amoeba-looking things that break when you hit them? Well thats a getting a movie deal, too. Don't ask me how, that is beyond me because it seems like everyone wants a quick buck these days.
I personal think the only video game series that should get a movie deal is the Half-life series because it has a great story, great cast of characters, and some intense scenes. Even though I think it's the only one that should get a movie, I don't want it to happen because video games or a more interactive than movies and making something interactive to something you watch is taking it a step down. Plus I pride myself knowing a video game with more depth in the storyline and action than most movies have had in decades.

But I honestly don't know whats worse, movies being made from video games or video games being made from movies. I think everyone can agree that every Harry Potter video game has less excitement than a fat kid sitting on a couch sleeping with a bag of potato chips just resting on his chest.
Not to mention every video game that has come from a movie that wasn't even filled with action or a decent story line. I think the really problem is that video games have a larger cast of characters and more depth and dimensions than a movie and making a video game from them either becomes a pile of boring crap or to much work to fill in the gaps. Now the Matrix had it right. They created a video game, Enter The Matrix, that actually took place before, during, and after the Matrix Reloaded (the second one in the series). What made it more interesting is that the game followed characters who were less important in the movie but still entered at the right moment and playing through the game allowed you to see how they got at the spot just in time. The reason I'm covering video game adaptions from movies is because of the unbelievable news of the Twilight MMORPG. And if you don't believe me, click here. Not only is this probably the worst adaptions I have ever seen, but I think it's the wrong adaption. The people I know that love Twilight are either too young to even understand what a MMORPG is or they only use a computer to check email and Facebook. Although, there will be those exception I think the target audience won't find this as enjoyable as the developers will want it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment